Dr Jenny Bartlett
Dr Jenny Bartlett has extensive experience in clinical governance, health care improvement, clinical services review and medical management. She is an experienced medical manager and has worked for over 25 years in the acute health care sector in senior management, operational and system improvement roles.
Immediately prior to commencing consulting practice in 2006, she was Director of Quality and Safety at the Department of Human Services in Victoria, where she led quality, safety and system improvement policy, established the Victorian Quality Council, directed numerous projects and pioneered public reporting of adverse events.
She was a member of the executive of the Australian Council for Safety and Quality in Health Care and chair of the State Quality Officials Forum. She established the breakthrough collaborative processes in Australia and has directed seven such projects over 7 years.
She is currently on the consultant panel reviewing patient flow in the Northern Territory and with the Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care to provide clinical safety and quality expertise and to provide facilitation and program support services. She was recently appointed as a clinical lead for the National E-Health Transition Authority (NEHTA).
During her consulting practice she has performed evaluations of ICU and Anaesthetics, patient transfer and infection control, palliative care and health call centre operations and clinical governance and quality improvement programs in health services. She has facilitated workshops in quality and safety, including medication safety, intensive care and clinical handover and managed a breakthrough collaborative in organ donation across 22 hospitals nationally.
Examples of Jenny’s many consulting projects include:
- Clinical governance and quality improvement review for Peninsular Health
- Organ Donation collaborative engaging 20 health care services nationally over 12 months
- Clinical governance and quality framework development for Barwon-South Western Region health services (17 facilities)
- Review of sentinel event relating to issues of patient transfer and infection control, including making recommendations for system wide reform
- Review of anaesthetic and intensive care services at Lyell McEwin hospital in South Australia including putting place a reform process for a bridging 6 month period
- Review of Intensive Care Services at Royal Adelaide Hospital
- Designed and delivered a workshop for the Clinical Excellence Commission on clinical handover. Provided a report on the workshop including recommendations on future strategies to improve performance
- Designed and delivered a workshop for the Clinical Excellence Commission on Pharmaceutical Review including recommendations on future strategies to improve performance
- Undertook quality and safety workshop for Lyndoch Aged Care Centre
- Undertook evaluation of quality and safety strategies for Barwon-South Western Region. Developed a strategy for Region wide projects to support system improvement in the region. Provide ongoing monitoring of strategies for improvement in areas of falls, patient transfer and communication between health care professionals
- Undertook interviews with health professionals, clients and carers to determine the issues which underpin satisfaction with services in community palliative care. Provided a report on issues for palliative care services in Victoria
- Wrote articles for publications determining the issues around health in Australia including depression, weight management, rural health and pharmaceuticals
- Evaluated the issues for rural pharmacy services in NSW, including interviews with pharmacists (hospital and community), nurse practitioners, managers and doctors in rural area health services, site visits to rural health services, workshops with the rural pharmaceutical services working party and report production
- Ran a workshop with the NSW Health Intensive Care Taskforce (including intensive care physicians and nurses from all NSW health services) to determine a strategic plan for delivery of intensive care services in the state. Provided a report on next steps.
- Provided strategic input to Nurse-on-Call compliance survey undertaken by UltraFeedback on behalf of DHS
- Provided strategic input an content to patient and client services across all of ACT Health for UltraFeedback
- Provided consultancy services to Ultrafeedback in their bid to continue provision of the Victorian Patient Satisfaction Monitor
- Wrote a document for UltraFeedback (client Johnson & Johnson Medical) defining and commenting on health care services in Australia, particularly public sector
- Evaluated the roll out of PROMPT (Protocol Management and Production Tool)
- Undertook medical and nursing staff interviews about mode of delivery of medication for schizophrenia patients
- Undertook a review of introduction of Intra Cardiac ECHO catheters in interventional cardiology laboratories nationally
- Consulted with 30 medical staff in Melbourne and Sydney on their attitudes to opioid usage including 2 hour workshops video taped and observed by the client
- Reviewed attitudes of cardiologists to different medical device companies
- Commenced a review of the public sector nationally as it pertains to procurement policy
- Drafted an evaluation strategy for Barwon-South Western Region dementia policy implementation.