This project involved a rapid, comprehensive impact review to assess the effectiveness of the Prisoner Through Care programs in Victoria and Tasmania.
The Prisoner Through Care service expectations include:
- Culturally appropriate case management and referral using a range of techniques, including crisis intervention and conflict resolution
- Regular visits to correctional institutions
- Assessment of the needs of targeted offenders and the development of effective case management plans (to include discussion with family and relevant others)
- Assistance and advocacy for the offender in relation to sentence management issues
- Visiting marginalized communities to assist offenders to access restorative justice options and educate and encourage the development of restorative justice options, where appropriate
- Compile monthly statistical reports
- Under direction from agency management, assisting in identifying broader trends and issues that affect prisoners, and liaison with other agencies to improve services.